2022 CALBO Education Weeks Recap
Another Great Annual Gathering with Hybrid Attedance!
The building-safety community gathered virtually and in-person for the Annual Education Weeks in fall 2022 for the latest 2022 codes. Eighteen new or newly updated courses were offered with expert instructors from across California covering various technical skills and code updates to provide well-rounded training that CALBO prides itself in delivering each year.
Offering the Education Week North (San Ramon) and South (Ontario) as hybrid training events allowed staff to attend two training opportunities ensuring remote learning from the home or office and flexibility for busy work schedules. This was the first time that the Ontario venue offered both virtual and in-person attendance. CALBO received positive responses for offering two virtual training events so jurisdictions could split their staff’s attendance. For the 2022 Education Weeks, there were nearly 3,000 in-person student days and nearly 5,000 virtual student days – a record for virtual attendance.
Thank you, instructors!
Thank you to the following instructors and course developers who taught in the classroom and facilitators who worked with the online students to ensure their questions were answered. A special thank you to the CALBO Training Institute (CTI) for planning the courses and overseeing the curriculum.
- Greg Anderson, CALFIRE/Office of the State Fire Marshal
- Ciara Barnett, County of Los Angeles, CTI Committee Member
- Ron Beehler, BPR Consulting Group
- Mark Berg, BPR Consulting Group
- Frank Bigelow, CALFIRE/Office of the State Fire Marshal
- Amie Brousseau, California Energy Commission
- Frank Bush, City of Los Angeles (Retired), CTI Committee Member
- John Caprarelli, City of Santa Clarita
- Jesse De Anda, City of Thousand Oaks
- Rick English, English Pool Consulting
- Gil Estrada, City of Cathedral City
- Brian Frenger, CSG Consultants, Inc.
- Ed Garcia, City of Los Angeles
- Pete Goodrich, Willdan
- Steve Hawks, CALFIRE/Office of the State Fire Marshal
- Ara Haghnazarian, City of Los Angeles
- Mostafa Kashe, County of Los Angeles
- Bob Latz, CSG Consultants, Inc., CTI Committee Chair
- Mike Leach, CSG Consultants, Inc.
- David MacLean, City of Los Angeles (Retired)
- Armando Pulido, City of Los Angeles
- Raj Patel, JAS Pacific, CTI Committee Vice Chair
- Javier Perez, California Energy Commission
- Sara Retmier, City of Beaumont, CTI Committee Member
- Brent Smith, City of Oakley, CTI Committee Member
- Andrew Stuffler, City of Santa Barbara (Retired)
- Ron Takiguchi, City of Pasadena
- George Thomas, County of Santa Cruz
- Brad Wungluck, City of Manteca, CTI Committee Member
What’s Next for the Education Weeks?
CTI is planning a Mini Education Week: Orange County (Costa Mesa) before the fall Annual Education Weeks. There will be 12 in-person courses offered over 3 days with 14 subject matter instructors focusing on the 2022 code updates. Registration is now open for those courses that are first-come, first-served. The fall Education Week schedule and registration will launch in spring 2023. CALBO Education Week: North (Burlingame) will offer in-person and virtual attendance from August 28-31, 2023. CALBO Education Week: South dates and details will be available soon.