Code of Ethics
The protections of life, health and property is a solemn responsibility of the highest order. Recognizing the public’s trust bestowed upon individuals engaged in the administration and enforcement of building regulatory codes, the California Building Officials advocates commitment to a standard of professional behavior that exemplifies the highest ideals and principles of ethical conduct. The governing concepts embodied in this philosophy are characterized herein below, for the benefit and guidance of those so engaged, and for the enlightenment of the public so served.
- Place the public’s welfare above all other interests and recognize that the chief function of government is to serve the best interests of all the people.
- Demonstrate integrity, honesty, transparency and fairness in all transactions and constantly strive for excellence in all matters of ethical conduct.
- Actively encourage and support diversity in the profession.
- Recognize the continuing need for developing improved safety standards for the protection of life, health, and property, and acknowledge a professional obligation to contribute time and expertise in the development of such improvements.
- Maintain professional competence in all areas of employment responsibility and encourage the same in associates at all levels.
- Accept no personal favors for public services rendered and conscientiously avoid all circumstances that could compromise professional integrity.
- Promote inclusive values reflected by California’s rich diversity that will serve our entire population with equity and equality.
The seal of said California Building Officials Board of Directors attests to the unanimous adoption of the above on the 18th day of January 1985.
Amended by the California Building Officials Board of Directors on the 25th day of September 2020.