Dear CALBO Friends and Colleagues,
Have you made your travel plans to CALBO’s 58th Annual Business Meeting in Indian Wells? I hope the answer is yes! Come join us April 5 – 9 in the beautiful Coachella Valley and surrounding desert for an exceptional event where we learn and share with one another, collaborate with industry colleagues, and grow and deepen our friendships.
In this special edition of the CALBO newsletter, you will find all the information about the upcoming ABM. With input from you, the CALBO Board, alongside CALBO members and staff, have been working diligently to develop programming that meets the needs of our diverse community of building professionals. The CALBO ABM is built around four unique days of topical sessions, ranging from general programs to unique workshops and interactive sessions.
The following is a highlight of the 2020 programs:
- Housing outlook and economic forecast by the California Building Industry Association
- Model code organizations presenting current industry endeavors
- FEMA panelists on hazard mitigation and recovery programs
- CALBO legislative advocacy
- State agency representatives on the new California codes and state laws
- ISO’s Building Code Effectiveness Grading Schedule (BCEGS)
- 2019 Ridgecrest earthquake findings and lessons
- Building Officials Leadership Academy (BOLA) graduation
- Workshops covering a changing workforce, emergency housing, seismic functional recovery, WUI and wildfire recovery process, energy storage systems, and your role in the California code development process
Besides the robust professional development programming, we will also have fun-filled activities. A special thank you to CALBO partners, sponsors, and exhibitors for your support and participation. On Sunday, a prestigious and highly regarded Indian Wells golf course will host our golf tournament. On Tuesday evening, we will celebrate and enjoy the camaraderie at our ABM fellowship event. Throughout the week, exhibitors will showcase innovative products and services. Please be sure to visit them and network with your colleagues and community.
If you are looking to experience a music festival in the desert, you will get to do that on Wednesday evening. Join us at the President’s Dinner for a night of great food, music, and company to celebrate CALBO and have fun!
My term is sure flying by. It has truly been an honor to serve as CALBO President this year. I am grateful to my fellow CALBO Board members and CALBO Committee members and want to extend my gratitude to you for your tremendous work, insight, and steadfast commitment to our industry and profession. I also want to express appreciation to CALBO staff – you are an incredible team that works tirelessly behind the scenes to make everything run smoothly. I would also like to thank all of you – the CALBO membership and industry colleagues – for your unwavering support and collaboration with CALBO. Together, we are accomplishing so much, and there is so much yet to do.
I, along with the CALBO Board, look forward to seeing you in Indian Wells in April. Let’s celebrate our success and look ahead to work together to advance our profession now and into the future!
Sharon Goei, P.E., C.B.O
Director of Building and Housing
City of Milpitas